Department of Zoology & Environmental Biology
Department of Zoology and Environmental Biology has been in existence since the inception of the University in 1983 under the broad nomenclature of Department of Biological Sciences with programmes of courses designed for the award of degrees: B.Sc. Botany, B.Sc. Microbiology and B.Sc. Zoology. This same Department was also formerly referred to as Applied Zoology Option
Professor Oyebamiji Oladeni Fafioye
a Professor of Zoology
BSc (Ogun), MSc., PhD (Ibadan)
The programme is designed for the award of degree at the end of the fourth year of study
The philosophy of the B.Sc. Zoology programme is to produce graduates who are well equipped in both general and practical education in Zoology, to take positions in all areas of philosophical and human understanding of animals that meet the needs of the society.
The objectives for setting up the Department of Zoology and Environmental Biology are thus:
- To provide a comprehensive training in theoretical and practical Zoology and Environmental Biology to students who after acquiring the qualification can practice the profession in any part of the world and also be eligible for postgraduate studies leading to M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees.
- To train students to respond to global challenges and the needs of the Nigerian society in particular, through broad training / education in the different areas of Zoology and Environmental Biology.
- To equip students with adequate practical skills that will enable them function productively in society.
- To contribute to food production, public health, conservation of natural resources, environmental amelioration and overall development of science and technology in Nigeria. This shall be done via emphasis on aspects of the programme such as Parasitology, Public health, Entomology, Forensic, Ecology, Environmental Biology, Invertebrate and Vertebrate Zoology, Biology of Animal Development, Histology, Fisheries and Aquaculture, Hydrobiology, Wildlife and Conservation of Natural Resources, Systematic and Evolutionary Zoology, Animal Behaviour, Ethno-Zoology, Ecotoxicology, Animal physiology, Genetics, Bioinformatics and Animal Biotechnology
- To give adequate, effective and resourceful training needed for the national and international production of high quality, competent and competitive Zoologist that possess the attitude, character and attributes essential for building the Nigeria nation to excellent level of societal development.
- Candidates must have passed at minimum credit level in WASCE, SSCE, NECO or GCE O/L at one or two sittings the following subjects namely: English language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
Direct Entry Admission
- Holders of Ordinary National Diploma (OND) with at least Upper credit in any of the following: Science Laboratory Technology, Nutrition, Food Technology/Science, Agricultural Science or other allied courses or or Higher National Diploma (HND) with minimum of Lower Credit.
- Holders of Advanced Certificate of OlabisiOnabanjo University with at least lower credit in Science and Laboratory Technology.
- Holders of National Certificate of Education (NCE) with Merit/Credit in Biology and in any one of the following subjects Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics.
- GCE Advanced level passes in two of the following subjects Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography or the Advanced Level in JUPEB, HSC or its equivalent from recognized body and acceptable to the University Senate.
- Foreign Nationals or Nigerians who hold the General Certificate of Education GCE A/L London, the Baccalaureate from a Francophone country with principal grade in two subjects one of which must be Biology, while the other one would be from Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics.
Download our Brochure
Please Feel Free To Contact Us. We will get back to you within 48 hours.