Department of Physics
The Department of Physics, Olabisi Onabanjo University was established in 1983 to provide the Physics graduates with oriented background and firm applications in the field of Physics and a high level competence in fitting into diverse careers in teaching, research and industry.
Dr, Shamsudeen K. Alausa,
BSc (Ogun), MSc., PhD (Ibadan)
The programme is designed for the award of degree at the end of the fourth year of study
The philosophy of the Department is dedicated to providing the highest quality of undergraduate and postgraduate education. The Department shall maintain its commitment to students through teaching excellence, exemplary academic resources, and personal attention. These qualities shall help the department meet its objectives which is to educate and train Physicists in its entirety.
The Olabisi Onabanjo University otherwise known and addressed as OOU intends to be the preeminent public research and teaching University linking the people of Ogun State to the Nation and the World. To meet the challenges of its vision, the University was established to run on multi-campuses system with campuses cited sited at the four geopolitical zones in the state namely: Ikenne at Remo, Ayetoro at Yelwa, Ibogun at Egba while the Main campus is at Ago-Iwoye in Ijebu.
As the state’s flagship comprehensive research institution, OOU primary purpose is to move forward and frontiers of human knowledge and enrich and elevate society. The mission of the University is to:
The objectives of the undergraduate curriculum in Physics and its Applied Physics programmes at Olabisi Onabanjo University are:
- To provide a solid background in Classical and Modern Physics for students with career objectives in Pure Physics, Research, Electronics, Materials Science, Computer Science, Geophysics, Medicine, diverse fields of application of Nuclear Energy, Secondary School Science Teaching, etc.
- To provide balanced training in the fields of electronics and Geophysics which are considered most relevant to human and material development in Nigeria.
- To provide skilled scientists capable of applying their knowledge to solve national problems in their respective field of interest.
- To inculcate broad specific discipline in undergraduate students (independent work, resourcefulness, honesty, broad scientific outlook and team-work in scientific research)
- To ensure a high level of competence of our graduates and also increase their flexibility in fitting into diverse careers including research and development, industry and education.
- To develop a research culture in the department in consonance with current trends in industry and research that are having direct relevance to the peculiar needs of Ogun State in particular and Nigeria in general.
- To provide a solid academic base for the pursuit of higher degree (M.Sc., M.Phil. and Ph.D.)
- To identify the limitations of our students and to make real effort to provide compensating corrective measures.
- Candidates must have passed at minimum credit level in WASCE, SSCE, NECO or GCE O/L at one or two sittings the following subjects namely: English language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
Direct Entry Admission
- Holders of Ordinary National Diploma (OND) with at least Upper credit in any of the following: Science Laboratory Technology, Nutrition, Food Technology/Science, Agricultural Science or other allied courses or or Higher National Diploma (HND) with minimum of Lower Credit.
- Holders of Advanced Certificate of OlabisiOnabanjo University with at least lower credit in Science and Laboratory Technology.
- Holders of National Certificate of Education (NCE) with Merit/Credit in Biology and in any one of the following subjects Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics.
- GCE Advanced level passes in two of the following subjects Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography or the Advanced Level in JUPEB, HSC or its equivalent from recognized body and acceptable to the University Senate.
- Foreign Nationals or Nigerians who hold the General Certificate of Education GCE A/L London, the Baccalaureate from a Francophone country with principal grade in two subjects one of which must be Biology, while the other one would be from Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics.
Download our Brochure
Please Feel Free To Contact Us. We will get back to you within 48 hours.