Department of Earth Sciences
Five students pioneered the Earth Sciences Department On Monday, 31st January, 1983, when it University opened its doors to the first set of students who graduated in 1987.
Dr. Phillips R. Ikhane,
BSc (Ogun), MSc., PhD (Ibadan)
The programme is designed for the award of degree at the end of the fourth year of study
The viewpoint of the department is to become a world-class Department of Earth Sciences. This is not undertaken lightly, the department is quite serious in its strive to achieving this vision. The objectives are derived largely from those of the founding fathers of the University, Faculty of Science and the Department itself.
The objectives for setting up the Department of Earth Science are thus:
As an applied science, GEOLOGY covers the scientific study of the dynamic system of the Earth’s planet, which includes the atmosphere, hydrosphere, lithosphere and biosphere. The rapidity in human population is continuously exerting pressure on natural resources, such as water, energy, minerals, and construction materials. The study of GEOLOGY integrates the basic concept of mathematics and physics as well as chemistry and biology in studying the history and processes of the Earth.
During training, students are exposed to adequate practical in the laboratories and a minimum of 100 days ‘Field Mapping’ to make them fit into the mineral, petroleum, water, geotechnical and other related industries. Some others can also advance into further research at Post-graduate levels. The emphasis on practical training both in the laboratories and on the field at the 300 and 400 levels are particularly, geared towards group and independent projects to prepare the future graduates for their fruitful career.
The Department is located in an environment whose boundary zone transits between the Precambrian crystalline Basement Complex terrain and (Dahomyean Miogeosyclinal) Sedimentary Basin. This affords easy access to a balanced training in Basic Geology, Solid Mineral, Hydrocarbon (Petroleum and Bitumen), Groundwater Exploration and Foundation studies for civil structures, making many of our graduates ready-made for the industries.
The University-Industry collaboration is currently, experiencing a boost with the active participations of the various companies in training of our staff and students, as well as Research and Consultancy activities.
The Department has a ABEM Resistivity metre (Geophysical Equipment) and Atomic Absorption Spectrometer (resident in the Department of Chemical Sciences) to be shared with other Departments in the ‘Faculty of Science’ as well as several related teaching and research equipment being expected to move the department in the direction of realizing the objectives set for it. The set objectives are as stated below:
- To produce young men and women who are vast in geosciences and prepare for
career in a variety of occupations in Ogun State, Nigeria and the world at large.
- To identify, explore and exploit the natural resources for the progress of mankind.
- Candidates must have passed at minimum credit level in WASCE, SSCE, NECO or GCE O/L at one or two sittings the following subjects namely: English language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
Direct Entry Admission
- Holders of Ordinary National Diploma (OND) with at least Upper credit in any of the following: Science Laboratory Technology, Nutrition, Food Technology/Science, Agricultural Science or other allied courses or or Higher National Diploma (HND) with minimum of Lower Credit.
- Holders of Advanced Certificate of OlabisiOnabanjo University with at least lower credit in Science and Laboratory Technology.
- Holders of National Certificate of Education (NCE) with Merit/Credit in Biology and in any one of the following subjects Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics.
- GCE Advanced level passes in two of the following subjects Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography or the Advanced Level in JUPEB, HSC or its equivalent from recognized body and acceptable to the University Senate.
- Foreign Nationals or Nigerians who hold the General Certificate of Education GCE A/L London, the Baccalaureate from a Francophone country with principal grade in two subjects one of which must be Biology, while the other one would be from Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics.
Download our Brochure
Please Feel Free To Contact Us. We will get back to you within 48 hours.