Department of Mathematical Sciences
The Department of Mathematical Sciences,OlabisiOnabanjo University was founded in 1982. It has the responsibility for the provisions of training needs, and services in Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science.
The programme is designed for the award of degree at the end of the fourth year of study
The philosophy that guides the training of students in this department is the production of skilled manpower that is adequately furnished with the comprehensive information technological development in an environment characterized by scarcely qualified Mathematics, Statistics and Computer science teachers (relative to the growing population), vast and rapidly increasing materials resources but with very weak data production and information management system.
Vision & Mission
In line with the mission of the University which is to create a conducive environment for teaching, learning, research and building of good character, the Department ensures that students are exposed to best practices in the system. We also demonstrate the scientific, societal and economic relevance of our departmental research activities through publications to increase the institution’s visibility, status and value.
The objectives for setting up the Department of Microbiology are thus:
- To provide a thorough and pure microbiological knowledge on which practical applications and industrial trainings are based. The graduates are trained for job opportunities in Medical Laboratories, Biotechnological, Food and Pharmaceutical industries, Breweries, Agricultural and Veterinary establishments, Research institutes, Environmental Protection agencies and Educational institutions.
- The practical training both in the laboratory and industrial establishments prepare graduates to be self employed and even become employers of labour
- To provide a broad-based academic training upon which graduates of programme can build to pursue higher degrees of M.Sc., M.Phil/Ph.D in Microbiology and other related science disciplines.
- Candidates must have passed at minimum credit level in WASCE, SSCE, NECO or GCE O/L at one or two sittings the following subjects namely: English language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
Direct Entry Admission
- Holders of Ordinary National Diploma (OND) with at least Upper credit in any of the following: Science Laboratory Technology, Nutrition, Food Technology/Science, Agricultural Science or other allied courses or or Higher National Diploma (HND) with minimum of Lower Credit.
- Holders of Advanced Certificate of OlabisiOnabanjo University with at least lower credit in Science and Laboratory Technology.
- Holders of National Certificate of Education (NCE) with Merit/Credit in Biology and in any one of the following subjects Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics.
- GCE Advanced level passes in two of the following subjects Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography or the Advanced Level in JUPEB, HSC or its equivalent from recognized body and acceptable to the University Senate.
- Foreign Nationals or Nigerians who hold the General Certificate of Education GCE A/L London, the Baccalaureate from a Francophone country with principal grade in two subjects one of which must be Biology, while the other one would be from Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics.
Download our Brochure
Please Feel Free To Contact Us. We will get back to you within 48 hours.